Kenneth fire map, updates as Los Angeles threatened by new blaze

A new wildfire has erupted in Los Angeles as the emergency services continue to tackle blazes across the city.

The Kenneth Fire is believed to have been started intentionally, and a suspect is in custody, per the Los Angeles Police Department.

Wildfires, spread by powerful Santa Ana winds, are engulfing much of Los Angeles. Known for their hot, dry nature, Santa Ana winds sap moisture from vegetation, leaving grasses, shrubs and trees highly combustible. Under such conditions, any spark—whether from downed power lines, machinery or natural events such as lightning—can ignite an inferno, with containment efforts significantly hindered by the winds’ ferocity.

So far, at least 10 people have been killed as a result of the wildfires, the County of Los Angeles Department of Medical Examiner said Thursday evening. Meanwhile, nearly 180,000 people are under evacuation orders as a result of the fires.

What to Know

The Kenneth Fire began at around 3:30 p.m. local time on Thursday in Woodland Hills and it has burned across almost 1,000 acres, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

Authorities shut down a portion of Highway 101 in response. While the fire grew quickly in just a couple hours, it is now spreading more slowly, CNN reported. So far, it has been 35 percent contained.

Map showing where the Kenneth Fire in Los Angeles is burning. It is one of five wildfires in the Los Angeles area. Map showing where the Kenneth Fire in Los Angeles is burning. It is one of five wildfires in the Los Angeles area. Cal Fire

More than 60 fire companies were sent to respond to the blaze, Los Angeles Fire Chief Kristin Crowley said.

Authorities believe the fire was started intentionally. In a 4:30 p.m. radio call, “a male was heard stating a suspect was attempting to light a fire” in Woodland Hills, at the 21700 block of Ybarra Road in Los Angeles, an LAPD official told Newsweek. The call came about two hours after the Kenneth wildfire was first reported. Police added that officers arrived and apprehended a suspect.

Meanwhile, Los Angeles County Supervisor Janice Hahn was forced to apologise in a post on X after millions of residents across the greater Los Angeles area mistakenly received an evacuation warning alert on their phones late Thursday afternoon local time that was meant for the areas impacted by the Kenneth Fire.

“It was meant to be for the areas impacted by the Kenneth Fire in Woodland Hills,” Hahn said.

Officials quickly worked to correct the notice, which had indicated that recipients should be ready to leave their area immediately if called upon due to surrounding wildfires.

Hahn said many had received the alerts by mistake “due to a technical error.”

How Many Wildfires Are There in Los Angeles?

It comes as at least four other fires are burning in the city. Those include the Palisades Fire, which has burned across at least 19,978 acres and has been 6 percent contained, the Hurst Fire, which has burned at least 771 acres and has been 37 percent contained, and the Lidia Fire, which has burned at least 394 acres and has been 75 percent contained. The Eaton Fire has burned 13,690 acres, with zero containment as of Friday.

Containment numbers should go up as weather conditions improve, according to Capt. Adam VanGerpen, spokesperson for the Los Angeles Fire Department.

“We have about 2,300 firefighters just at the Palisades Fire … we have firefighters coming in from all over the state,” he told CNN.

Why It Matters

At least 10 people have been killed as a result of the wildfires and that number could rise as the blazes spread, with no sign of an ending in sight.

Nearly 180,000 people are under evacuation orders as a result of the fires, which have caused a huge amount of damage to property and possessions, disrupting the normal operation of the city and hurting the local economy.

What People Are Saying

Cal Fire wrote on its website: “Fanned by strong Santa Ana winds, the fire threatens nearby communities and infrastructure, prompting swift evacuation orders. Firefighters from Los Angeles and Ventura counties are actively engaged in containment efforts, deploying both ground crews and aerial resources.”

What Happens Next

Fire crews are continuing to fight the wildfires. Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass said residents should continue to heed emergency orders from the Los Angeles Fire Department and first responders.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *